TMC Volume 2, Issue 5
Section I: The internet has forgotten Jake Busey

There used to be a recurring feature on NBC local news called "Unsung Heroes". It was basically a chance for local people to be recognized and rewarded for their efforts in their neighborhood, acknowledging the fact that even though there's innumerably more newsworthy things going on in the world at large, it's nice (and cool and ratings-effective) to simply focus on a few things right in your backyard. I used to love watching the news just for that feature. "Unsung Heroes" was in fact one of the many things I wanted to always wanted to be. An Unsung Hero.

Of course, the irony there is that being an Unsung Hero means being ignored. To wish to be an Unsung Hero for the purpose of recognition goes against everything that the Unsung Hero stands for. Man, I was a stupid kid.

Anyway, today the point is that far too many so-called "non-essential" individuals go unnoticed for far too long. 

I'm not talking about myself in this case. It's a change from some previous rants, sure, but hey, what can I say, I'm a paradigm SHIFTER. I like to change it up. Who I am talking about though are all the people who fall between the cracks (so to speak) when it comes to recognition.

The best example I can think of right now is in movies. Far too often have I found even myself (me! the paradigm shifter!) solely focused on the quality and the integrity of a movie through the portrayal of the main cast. I'm captivated when I begin to believe that Leonardo DiCaprio is in fact Frank Abagnale Jr. in the humorous caper "Catch Me If You Can". I'm elated when I lose myself  watching Bruce Willis as Korben Dallas and Milla Jovovich as Leeloo in "The Fifth Element". But what I forget, what I'm saying that we all forget, is that once you take these characters out of their context and place them on a stage all their own, most of them can't hold a line to feed an overweight love-child. One by one, these characters fall flat without the support of a scene an extra, a co-star. But who gets the Oscar? Who gets the party and the fancy champagne and the "how-dee-doo I love you"? Bruce Willis, Milla Jovovich, and Leo. That's who. And That's too bad.

I could go on, but the point is made, I think. We all know someone in our lives, on our stage, in our drama of living, that has gone far too long without any sort of recognition from us. Some might say, "well of course, because I am the star!" but I don't mean to say that you should make the other person the star of your show (it's your show, after all!). All I'm saying is to give a little bit of that sweet nectar of recognition to that person which made, and continues to make, your life a place where you can shine your brightest.

--Andy you're a star
       In nobody's eyes...
            In nobody's eyes, but mine.-- The Killers

Popular posts from this blog

Xenogears: The Article

Mass Effect 3: You're wrong, but that's ok