Read a Good Book: This Gaming Life

Hey everybody. Before I start, I just want to say that the Evanston, Illinois is great. It's a beautiful place. If anyone actually lives in Evanston (or nearby) I would just like to say, I am extremely jealous of you.
Came for my brother's graduation. Despite his busy Au.D. curriculum, he still finds time to play Starcraft 2. That's dedication!

Okay. Onto business. The truth is that games aren't the only hobby I like to engage in (gasp!). In my spare time I also read books! A great piece of advice I've received (and subsequently offered profusely) is that "if you feel like you're in a funk, read a good book." Whatever it is that's going on in your life, whether good or bad, having a good book by your side often makes that time less lonely, more thoughtful, and generally more fulfilling than simply trying to grin and bear it. So I usually like to keep a good book on hand wherever I go.



Seeing as how this trip would make it understandably difficult for me to spend much time gaming, I brought a book along. As I began reading it, I thought it might be cool to share with you, fellow gamers/readers, the insights it had. You may be thinking, "how presumptuous, you young scalawag! What makes you think I'd be interested in some random book that you've chosen to bring with you on this trek across the great nation of America?? American pig!" Well, you may choose to be so rude, but I, on the other hand, will not. So no, sir, I am not being presumptuous, because this book is in fact about gaming.

So, a book about gaming, see? I'm reading about gaming. So it's almost like I'm actually gaming because I'm engaging in an activity that is relevant to it. Like when you watch a movie about skateboarding because you like to skateboard or watch a ballet and then go home and realize you learned how to do a perfect pirouette.

Alright, so maybe it doesn't work like that. But still, you know what I mean.

"This Gaming Life: Travels in Three Cities" is a book published in 2009, written by venerated games journalist Jim Rossignol who has written for a number of well-known print publications such as PC Gamer, Wired, Edge and others. He continues his writing work primarily online on various topics such as gaming and popular culture.

I'm finding "This Gaming Life" to be a fascinating thing: Rossignol combines his journalistic expertise and his passion for gaming to create a readable, thoughtful volume. I'm thinking of making this a new feature on the blog, discussing some of the ideas and speculations he brings up throughout the course of the book. Of course, I won't just be rambling on about these things as if you don't know them. Expect quotes and excerpts followed by my interpretations of them, and of course my own thoughts as well. If you're wondering what exactly it's all about, here's an interview he did about the book.

If you WOULD like to follow along (that is, if you're not content with me simply showing you what I choose! you do trust me, don't you?) you can get a copy of the book for about $15 USD (+ shipping) from amazon.com.

Be on the lookout for the first post in the coming week! Okay, now I'm going back to being on vacation :)

THE Stephen Colbert (The Colbert Report) gave the commencement speech at NU. No lie. Best commencement speech ever(And so can you!).

Popular posts from this blog

Xenogears: The Article

Mass Effect 3: You're wrong, but that's ok